This is super easy to put together and the outcome was delicious. Everyone loved it! I served it over jasmine rice and garnished it with toasted sesame seeds and thinly-sliced scallions. If you look closely you might be able to see the steam coming off this hot plateful of delciousness.
Slow cooker honey sesame chicken adapted from thecomfortofcooking.com
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 green onion, sliced thin on a diagonal for garnish
- Hot, cooked rice
Place chicken in slow cooker and lightly season both sides with pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oils, ginger and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and add to slow cooker. Stir to combine with sauce. Cover and cook sauce on high for ten minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove about a cup of the sauce to a bowl. Return chicken to slow cooker to heat through.
Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken and spoon some reserved sauce over top. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.