While I’m pondering tonight’s dinner, how about a little white chili? It’s something I threw together Sunday when it was rainy outside and football was on t.v. My intention was to run to the grocery store and pick up what I needed for a deep-dish pizza, but I didn’t want to change clothes and then fight the crowds. So I did what I should do more often – I looked in my freezer, refrigerator and pantry to see what I could do with what I had on hand. White chili was obviously a good choice because everyone went back for seconds.
White chili with chicken and cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2-3 cups chicken broth (you can add more if chili’s too thick)
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cups shredded monteray jack cheese
- Pickled jalapeno slices for garnish (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender and translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook until fragrant. Add chicken and cook just until no pink remains, stirring frequently. Stir in the cumin, oregano, green chilies and chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the beans and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, to bring flavors together. Taste and add salt if needed. Add 2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and ladle into warm bowls. Sprinkle with more cheese and garnish with jalapeno slices and cilantro.