Best. Bruschetta. Ever.
I made this for a party a couple of nights ago and we loved it so much I made it again last night.
- 1 cup good pitted black olives
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 generous teaspoon drained capers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, torn or shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) loaf baguette bread, sliced 3/8-inch (1cm) thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
To make the tapenade, process olives, garlic, vinegar, capers and 1 teaspoon oil in food processor, until a chunky paste forms, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides.
For the tomato topping, combine tomato, green onions, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
For the toast: using the 2 tablespoons olive oil, lightly brush the bread slices on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden, turning once.
To assemble: spread about 1 teaspoon tapenade on each piece of bread and top with about 1 tablespoon of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve warm.