Cannon Beach, Oregon
Yesterday we weighed our weekend options: cleaning the house and the garage versus a spontaneous overnight trip to Cannon Beach. It was sort of a no-brainer. We quickly packed a cooler and rounded up a few clothes and some rain gear, and drove 72 miles west to Cannon Beach.
Beach trip highlights included:
- Driving through snow in the coastal mountain passes, both coming and going.
- Going for a cold beach walk in the sunset to Haystack Rock and the tide pools during the lowest minus tide of the month. (-0.4)
- Cooking a cheery dinner of Kung Pao shrimp in our cottage’s little kitchen.
- Agreeing to play one last hand of gin rummy, and tying, 60-60.
- Watching “The Village” on the DVD player in our cottage. (The pickings in the office were slim, folks.)
- Going to sleep to the sound of the wild, winter storm and the pounding surf.
- Taking a short, crazy walk on a practically non-existent beach this morning during the highest tide of the month (6.6), in driving rain and 60 mph wind gusts.
- Eating leftover, cold Kung Pao shrimp in the snowy parking lot of the rest stop on the way home.
Now we’re back to the chores we left behind, football, and beer.